KUALA LUMPUR, 18 Dec (UPM) – Twelve scientists of Universiti Putra Malaysia (UPM) were among the 35 recognised as the top research scientists of the country for 2013 by the Academy of Sciences Malaysia (ASM) in a ceremony here last night.
One of the 12 UPM scientists was also inducted as a Fellow of ASM during the award-presentation ceremony at a dinner at a leading hotel that was also graced by Prime Minister Dato’ Seri Najib Tun Razak.
Prof Dr Fatimah Md Yusoff, an expert in aquatic ecology and limnology of the Department of Aquaculture of the Faculty of Agriculture, was among the 19 scientists who were made new Fellows of ASM this year.
She was also among the 35 scientists acknowledged as the top research scientists of the country for this year.
The other 11 UPM scientists are:
1. Prof Datin Paduka Dr Aini Ideris, is an expert in avian respiratory and immunosuppressive diseases, related to the control of poultry diseases and development of poultry vaccines. Dr Aini of the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine who has just completed her term as Deputy Vice Chancellor (Academic and International Affairs), was elected to the Hall of Honour of the World Veterinary Poultry Association in August 2013.
2. Prof Dr Luqman Chuah Abdullah @ Chuah Teong Guan, an expert in separation technology in wastewater treatment, material engineering on nanomaterials and biopolymers and phytochemical processing is from the Department of Chemical and Environmental Engineering of the Faculty of Engineering.
3. Assoc. Prof Dr M. Iqbal Saripan, an expert in medical electronics who is the Head the Department of Computer and Communication Systems Engineering of the Faculty of Engineering.
4. Prof Dr Mahiran Basri, a pioneer in the research on organic synthesis using enzymes as biocatalysts in Malaysia, is a professor in chemistry in the Science Faculty. She is also the Director of the Centre of Foundation Studies for Agriculture Science that prepares SPM holders for degree courses at UPM.
5. Prof Dr Mohd Ali Hassan, an expert in biomass technologies is a professor in the Department of Process and Food Engineering of the Faculty of Engineering. Prof Dr Ali, who read his PhD in Environmental Biotechnology from Okayama University of Japan and a BSc (Hons) in chemical engineering from Leeds University, is currently involved in research on biogas, bioplastic and biocomposing.
6. Prof Dr Noh Azah Yusof, whose research interest is in chemical and biosensor development, specifically in medical diagnostic and environmental monitoring, is from the Chemistry Department of the Science Faculty.
7. Prof Dr Paridah Md Tahir, an expert in wood and non-wood forest products, is from the Department of Forest Production of the Forestry Faculty. She has just delivered her inaugural lecture earlier this month.
Date of Input: | Updated: | amir_peli
FACULTY OF FOOD SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
UNIVERSITI PUTRA MALAYSIA